Saturday, February 13, 2010

My (Early) Valentine's Day...

Having a child brings so much laughter into my house. Tonight I got home from having a meeting with a potential bride and groom. It was late, I didn't feel like cooking, and through the door I came with Taco Bell and Arby's in hand.

My son is ridiculously smart for his age. Anyone who has met him, has commented on that fact. Yet simple things like, "Don't tell mamma that this is her Valentine's Day present" fail to click in his little three year old brain. Can't say I blame him though, I suck at keeping secrets too.

So, we were about finished eating tonight when Jaxson remembers that tomorrow is Valentine's Day and then with this goofy grin on his face, he turns to me in a secretive voice and says, "Mamma, we got you a new monkey, a red one." I laugh. Justin turns red and then tells me he had spent ten minutes telling Jaxson how he couldn't tell me about the monkey until tomorrow morning. Truthfully, it made the Valentine's Day present that much more sweet.

Yesterday I had teased Justin a little bit on facebook and hinted to all my girl friends to send him a message that Valentine's Day was this weekend and that I liked things that sparkled. It was purely meant in fun, because I do have the best husband in the world. People that know us, know that we bicker like a married couple of fifty years. And I love it. I also love the fact that Justin is romantic in the most un-conventional ways. I don't usually get flowers, which is nice because when I do they are that much more special. But, I do get little surprises and sweet momentos from him to show he loves me. When we were dating while I was in college, I had bought him tootsie-rolls for Christmas. A huge gallon jar of them. (He loves tootsie rolls). I was sad to be leaving him after Christmas break was over, especially since we were three hours away from each other. When I got back to Bloomington, a few days later I get an envelope in the mail from him. Inside were all the tootsie roll wrappers with "I miss you" written on them. He laughs and says, "I sent you my garbage and you think it's romantic" but I smile because it was so creative and sweet he took the time to write on all of the wrappers. Throughout the years there have been other instances of this. I hope those of you who are reading this and planning your wedding, that long after the wedding photography process is over with, that you will still take time to show one another in the un-conventional ways just how much you love each other.

And what kind of photographer would I be if I didn't document the sweet little presents that Justin and Jaxson got for me. The best part is at the end...



Justin has always signed his cards (the few he actually gives) with the most miniscule letters that the human eye can see. Before we had Jaxson, he signed the cards, "J", that was it. No message, no "love" just "J". He's expanded now to "Daddy". The other card is from Jaxson, and he wrote his name himself. It is so cool to be a mom and watch your child's mind expand and learn new things. The fact he can spell his name and kind of write the letters, I just think is the neatest thing in the world.

So...if you can see the bottom of Justin's card it says ,"www.iloveyoumamma.com" I thought it was just a joke, in reference to the fact we are both so technologically dependent. But, Justin says, "No...you have to go to the website". So...I resind my statement that I wanted something sparklie or chocolates or flowers....this website was the best gift ever. Go see the website Justin made for me:

I love you mamma

I truly am the luckiest woman in the whole world to have a husband like Justin. :)

I hope all of you are able to share this special day with someone who means the world to you.

J

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That website is so sweet! Happy Valentine's Day!

Lydia Shannon said...

Soooooo sooooo sooooo sweet! I love it!!!!

Leeann Marie said...

ABSOLUTELY. ADORABLE.

Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Awww cuteness!

Unknown said...

Awww, Justin!! :) That is really cute! Almost as good as the 100s of Tootsie Roll wrappers he sent to our apartment! I can't believe Jaxson can write his name already!!!!!!!!!

About Me

My photo
Fort Wayne, IN
I'm a mother, a wife, daughter of Christ,and friend to many. I love everything about my life and where God is leading me.